Back to school ideas for the Christian family – Communication
Going back to school each fall is an exciting time. There’s lots to do and lots of new things ahead. But school time can also be one of the most stressful and difficult times of the year as well. I didn’t want the back to school season to slip by without giving you some tips I’ve learned (mainly from my wife) about how to make it the best that it can be!
Make communication a top priority
It doesn’t matter if your kids are going to school outside the home, or are schooled at home. Communication is key. Why? Because communication is what keeps your relationship with your children strong – and relationship is the most important part of home life, even more so than their education. Regular, meaningful communication brings a variety of benefits…
- It provides security, when your children may be venturing out into new settings and situations.
- It provides a strong connection to the safety and acceptance of the family, when those outside may not be as accepting.
- It enables you to be in touch with what is going on in your child’s heart, while all these new challenges are arising.
How does this type of communication come about?
This type of communication comes about because Mom and Dad make it come about. Parents who understand the vital things good communication provides make sure that it is happening in their homes. Here are some ideas for facilitating communication that you can fit into your regular routine:
- Breakfast devotions before everyone gets started for the day
- One night a week set aside for “family time“
- Intentional conversations with your children as you tuck them into bed (take your time… some of the best stuff comes out then)
In all of this… be sure to constantly bring God into the conversation.
- Talk about what HE thinks or feels about the situations they are facing.
- Discuss what HIS will is for their relationships, conversations, school work, and study times.
- Make HIS INVOLVEMENT in your child’s life obvious to them by the way you include Him in everything.
BLOG email subscription
By commenting you are agreeing to my Comments Policy.